Monday, May 21, 2012

How to talk to God


How do I have a Quiet (God) time?
Our pastor was asking this question today and I've been thinking about what a question it is.    I wish I knew what other people's inner dialougs with God sounded like.  I watched Jonathan playing with a toy house and his stuffed animals today saying, "I go quiet time" "bye, bye" and putting his little panther in a room by itself.  I guess he wonders what we do in quiet time too.

When I ask Dorathea what God says to her it is usually a vision that she draws.  "Mommy this is fruit God showed me.", Me-"Those are grapes on a vine.  Did you know God says, 'I am the vine you are the branches, remain in me and you bear much fruit'?" "No" Me to myself; "Thanks for the teachable moment  God, you totally set up that slam dunk by giving her that vision."  I bet the whole world of people have a kalidoscope of ways they talk to God.  So here is my version.

Even though I try to have a conversation with God all day sometimes life gets frustrating (like this weekend as I was trying to convince a little boy that going potty is fun), and then it gets harder to hear His voice (over his crying and my whining).   I use quiet time as a tune up, to tune into that quiet voice that gives me peace and helps me do all things, especially potty train.

Lately as I feed kids, clean, and teach little ones during the day, I watch the backyard and bide my time till I can steal away a few minutes in it.

When I get there I let the thoughts that have been taking over my thinking float to the surface.  "Am I potty training the best way?"  "Is this the right time to train him?"  "Why am I so irritable?" Then I close my eyes and try to see God.  Sometimes he is on a throne, or sitting in the grass telling me to lay down and be still, or in a big easy chair asking me to climb up and sit with him.

For a while I would see Him, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus sitting around a dining room table telling me to sit down and eat a meal they made for me like a chorus Italian grandmothers.  "Eat. Manga!".  This may have been inspired by teaching The verse John 8:14 in Sunday school.  I led the kids in covering their eyes and imagining that they were in a house God had made for them.

Allison Keys
When I asked what thier would be to eat in that dwelling place thier reactions were priceless, "Spagetti!  Icecream!"  When I told them they can visit this dwelling place anytime they wanted to something opened up in my own quiet time.   So now sometimes I visit my own God house in my mind and spend time just hanging out with the holy trinity.

Last fall as we were losing our house, I saw myself lying in a hammock during my quiet time.  "Why am I in a hammock?"  I asked him, getting right to the point.


"I am cradeling you but you don't feel me"  "You you are swinging free and feel vulnerable, but I am still holding you up, and I won't let go".  I was having my first back yard quiet time at this new house when I realized the hammock I was sitting in, was the same hammock he showed me in my vision.  Not only did he have me in his hand, He knew exactly where I would be six months later.

That's what quiet time is for me.  Quieting  my own inner whiney voice and spending time being with my Father in my minds eye.  I have had enough "hammock" moments to have confidence that it is Him I am hearing and seeing.  If the voice sounds critical or hard, it's never Him.  My Father is soft and soothing and strong, and his few words have a wisdom my own futile reasoning can't summon up.  After I spend time just being with him and enjoying Him, my questions are easily answered, "You are doing a great job with Jonathan, I'm proud of you.  "You are irratable because you're working harder as a mom then you realize."  "Keep going, he will learn and you can do it!".

Thanks Dad I needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment